Chapter 8 Case Study
Read Chapters 7, 8 and the Case Study on pages 263 – 265 of the Global Business book “The German
Question in the European Union.”
Next, answer the following questions:
1. The Case Study was written in spring of 2015. Research what has happened in Greece since the
case study was written. What happened to Greece during the summer of 2015? How is Greece
doing economically today?
2. What are the advantages and disadvantages of using a common currency for Greece, Germany,
and the EU?
3. In mid-March 2015, the euro dropped in value to a 12-year low against the dollar. It fell to
$1.04684, which is the lowest it had been against the dollar since April 2003. What is the value
of the euro today? Is it as weak as it was in mid-March 2015? Does a weak euro help or hinder an
American tourist visiting Europe? Explain your answer.
4. Germany is one of the strongest economies in the EU currently. How do they benefit from being
part of the EU? What are the disadvantages of being part of the EU? Do you think their economy
would be stronger if they were not part of the EU?
5. During the summer of 2016, the United Kingdom voted for the Brexit and they left the EU in
January of 2020. During 2020, they were in transition period and they finally ended with a trade
agreement at the end of the year. Do you think the economy of the UK will be stronger or weaker
as a result of leaving the EU? Why?
Your responses to each question should be at least one to three paragraphs long and the assignment
should be one to two pages. Number your answers and show evidence that you are applying concepts
learned in chapters 7 and 8. You can also apply concepts from earlier chapters but make sure chapters 7
and 8 concepts are also applied. Your responses should also show evidence that you have done
additional research. Use at least three sources and one of those should be the Global Business textbook.
Write your case using business-writing format. The syllabus has more info about this style. Be sure to cite
your sources using MLA or APA style. Include in-text citations and a works cited page.
Chapter 8 Case Study Read Chapters 7, 8 and the Case Study on pages 263 – 265 of
Chapter 8 Case Study